17 Nov 2009

In life there is a general notion well understood by most and ignored by some. A kind of unvoiced 'rule' coined by some theorist from ancient archaeological and anthropological times and embraced as one of life's philosophies by our modern experts.

We must all be aware of this rule: "survival is for the fittest". Whether taught in schools, or in our homes, or heard on the TV, or read off of the internet, or experienced in the business world or outside of it, anywhere, somewhere, everywhere; this is an age old perception, a kind of nirvana.

In a world that is continually expanding with rapid momentum, my opinion is that this rule with time should become law, adhered to by all.

This may come as brazen to most of us in society, but yesterday I was forced to think; and how I hate to think because when I do, I come up with very harsh conclusions that may upset the politically correct.

You see, it was at the end of my daily routine of chasing after the ever elusive 'bread'; a fruitful day in terms of psychological and intellectul achievement; we were all happy that soon our hard work would translate into tangible gains. I was just about to board my 'plane' home, when a personal ally in the business world pulled me aside and politely asked me to help him 'overcome his financial burden'. He needed some 'dough' to get to his final destination.

This was a normal occurrence in our 'team' for we had officially formed the habit of being our brother's keeper; after all if you cannot lend a hand to your brother then how can you possibly do so to a stranger? Unfortunately, I had no 'mula' in my pocket to give, let alone share and I simply stated so, looking to my other 'peeps' for help.

However, instead of accepting my humbling confession, my ally had the nerve to point out the fact (that may coincidentally be true), that i never 'changad' for such occasions. Somehow of no fault of my own but of possible and uncontrollable forces, for a couple of weeks now, I always seemed not to be able to rise to the occasion and donate a few shillings to worthy causes. I never did think that this would become an issue to others. I just never had more than enough for my bare maintenance even in ordinary circumstances. Let's call it 'hard times', which I will confidently assume everyone does go through in life.

So evidently, I found this judgment to be quite careless on the part of the 'beggar'.

Firstly, because what he said was totally insensitive. He may boast to know me up to the point where I cheerfully bid everyone goodbye at the finale of our daily activities, but beyond that he has no clue who feeds me and clothes me, or what the size of my left shoe is.

Secondly, what he said was utterly and notably untrue. He decided to lose his memory. For that instant, he chose to forget that it was I who had passed onto him a few 'bobs' some days ago, so as to buy himself a decent tea at 'Karomainde' cafe on some lonely street in the middle of town.

Thirdly, what he said was plain ridiculous and unfair. For it was he who was now seeking temporary monetary funding and not I. It was he who was now unable to 'changa' for his own relief. What if I had no afore-knowledge of his 'poverty' situation and had chosen to ask him for aid and at the point of being unable to assist me, had concluded that he 'never' gives. Would that be a fair conclusion to make?

His assertions were not purposely uttered to hurt me; that I do know. But Holy Scripture is not wrong to warn us on controling our tongues. Once you open your mouth to speak to all and sundry however unintentional, you can never take back what comes out of it.

And anyway, who said that society demands of me or of anyone, other than himself, to take care of his lifestyle? Was it not he who had used his last penny on an 'expensive' brew just a few minutes ago, while I sipped hot water and lemon for free, very much aware of my own financial predicament? Prior to the drenching festivity, wasn't he already aware of his own situation, and couldn't he have prudently quelled his thirst at a later date?

We as allies in this cold and unfriendly world are such, only because we choose to be so. Without which some of these alliances, if not all, would barely scrape through.

However, amidst these 'kinship' bonds and friendship ties that we so boldly profess to have(which by the way are there for our basic survival), there is an urgent need to create an 'auto reminder' of sorts, lest we continue to leave our memory behind. Perhaps a virtual machine that would once in a while erase the subconscious lies we unwillingly create. Lies we use to help us stay afloat; above seal level. Lies that leave us believing that society owes us.

Aha!! My 'auto reminder' has just flashed a message across its screen; it reads: "Society owes you nothing".

No comments: